Friday, April 5, 2013

Divorce

This week we talked about divorce. I thankfully never had to suffer the affects of my parents divorcing, but my fiance unfortunately had to. When I first met him and he told me that his parents were divorced it honestly actually scared me because I didn't think he would want to pursue a relationship with me. I don't think parents realize how much stress this puts on the kids. I know that my fiances parents did not get divorced until he was 19 years old. He said he came home from his first semester of college and his parents told him and he said it was out of the blue. It is sad because he has a 9 year old brother that has to go back and forth between both parents and it is so hard for him. My fiance also has to communicate for his parents and gets caught in the middle of things. Especially when we were planning our wedding this semster it has been really hard communicating between both.

In class we talked about how 70% of men will remarry within 2 years after getting divorced. My fiances father did get remarried a couple years after and now he has a blended family and has 3 new step-siblings. He refuses to call his step-mother a "step-mother" and pretty much just ignores what that family does. I know it is hard on him though because he is extremely close to his Dad and he says it is just awkward to be there when the rest of his family "step" family is.



No comments:

Post a Comment